Broccoli cashew stir-fry
Makes 4 servings
A great side dish, no need for takeout.
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sesame oil (or canola oil)
- 3 green onions, sliced - separate the white parts from the green parts
- 4 cups (1 L) broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) snowpeas
- 2 cups (500 mL) bok choy, chopped
- ½ cup (125 mL) cashews, chopped
- ¼ cup (50 mL) water
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) sodium reduced soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) freshly grated ginger root
- 1 tsp (5 mL) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Heat a large fry pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add cashews and roast for 2 to 3 minutes. Stirring frequently. Careful not to burn them. Set aside with the green parts of the green onion.
- In the same pan, add the sesame oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the white parts of the green onion, broccoli and mushrooms. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until broccoli is starting to become tender. Add a few tablespoons (45-60 mL) of water, if needed, to stop browning or burning.
- Add the snow peas and bok choy and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and sauté for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add in the cashews and green parts of the green onion.
- Serve immediately with brown rice.
Nutritional information per serving
(1 ½ cups / 375 mL)
- Calories: 199
- Protein: 10 g
- Total fat: 10 g
- Saturated fat: 2 g
- Dietary cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 23 g
- Sodium: 181 mg
- Potassium: 948 mg
Developed by Nadine Day, RD. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation
Posted November 2008.