Garlicky green beans
Makes 6 servings
Cook your beans ahead and leave them in the refrigerator so an easy side dish can be warmed in a skillet, quickly and simply. If there are any leftovers, be sure to refrigerate them and add a splash of your favourite vinegar for an easy salad the next day.
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 kg) green beans, trimmed
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh mint or Italian parsley
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) shredded Asiago cheese (optional)
- In large saucepan of boiling water, cook green beans for 5 to 8 minutes or until tender-crisp; drain well. (Make-ahead: Chill beans under cold running water; drain well. Wrap in towel and place in plastic bag; refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook garlic, stirring often for 2 minutes. Add beans and toss to coat; cover and cook, tossing twice, for about 8 minutes or until hot. Add parsley, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.
Nutrition information per serving
- Calories: 75
- Protein: 2 g
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Sodium: 4 mg
- Potassium: 291 mg
Developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Posted March 2008.