Whole-wheat pizza dough
Makes enough dough for 1 14-in (36 cm) pizza
Make this pizza dough and keep it in the freezer for an easy weeknight meal. The addition of bran to the dough adds fibre and a great nutty flavour. Add your favourite vegetable toppings and beef, chicken, ham or pineapple.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) skim milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) warm water
- Pinch sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cup (425 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) natural bran
- Place water and milk into large bowl; add sugar and stir to dissolve. Sprinkle yeast over top and let stand for about 10 minutes or until frothy. Stir in 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) of the flour and bran until ragged dough forms. Scrape dough onto lightly floured surface and knead dough, adding as much of the remaining flour as necessary to form a soft, slightly sticky dough. Place in a greased bowl and cover. Let stand for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Punch down dough and roll into a 14-inch (36 cm) circle.
- Top with your favourite toppings and bake in 425°F (220°C) oven on centre rack, for about 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Refrigerated Dough: After kneading dough, place in greased resealable bag and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Let come to room temperature before using.
Frozen dough: After kneading dough, place in greased resealable bag and freeze for up to 1 month. Place bag in refrigerator and let thaw completely before bringing to room temperature before using.
Nutrition information per serving (1/14 of cooked dough)
- Calories: 60
- Protein: 3 g
- Fat: 1 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Sodium: 84 mg
- Potassium: 116 mg
Developed by Emily Richards, P.H. Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation.
Posted March 2008.