Stir-fried vegetables with ginger and garlic
Makes 8 servings
The colours and flavour combination of this dish complement any meat dish, from chicken to lamb to beef. You need only add rice to complete the main course. For a one-dish meal, add chicken, turkey, shellfish, ham or tofu to the stir-fry and serve over hot pasta.
- 325 mL (1 1⁄3 cups) green beans (125 g/4 oz)
- 1 large stalk broccoli
- Half small cauliflower
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 sweet red or yellow pepper
- 375 mL (1 1⁄2 cups) snow peas (125 g/4 oz)
- 1 small zucchini
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) canola or olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 50 mL (3 tbsp) minced gingerroot
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) sodium-reduced soy sauce
- Freshly ground pepper
- Trim beans, then cut on the diagonal into 4 cm (1 1⁄2-inch) lengths.
- Cut broccoli into florets. Peel stem; slice on the diagonal.
- Cut cauliflower into florets.
- Slice carrots on the diagonal.
- In large pot of boiling water, blanch beans, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots separately just until tender-crisp.
- Remove and immediately rinse under cold running water to prevent further cooking; drain thoroughly.
- Cut sweet pepper in 2.5 cm (1-inch) pieces, trim snow peas and slice zucchini on the diagonal; set aside.
- Twenty minutes before serving, heat about 10 mL (2 tsp) of the oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and one-third of the garlic; stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini and some of the gingerroot and more garlic; stir-fry for 3 minutes, adding more oil if necessary.
- If pan is full, transfer vegetables to baking dish and keep warm in 120°C (250°F) oven.
- Add as many of the blanched vegetables as you can stir-fry at one time, plus some of the garlic and ginger; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until hot. Add to baking dish; keep warm.
- Stir-fry remaining vegetables, adding a small amount of oil as necessary.
- Stir-fry red pepper and snow peas until tender-crisp.
- Combine all vegetables; toss with soy sauce, and pepper to taste.
MAKE AHEAD: Prepare vegetables and blanch beans, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots up to 6 hours in advance.
Nutrition information per serving
(250 mL/1 cup)
- Calories: 82
- Protein: 3 g
- Total fat: 4 g
- Saturated fat: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Carbohydrate: 11 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Sodium: 156 mg
- Potassium: 351 mg
From Anne Lindsay’s Lighthearted at Home ©2010
Posted: November 2010