Curried apple and zucchini soup
Makes 10 servings
- 25 mL (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 to 15 mL (1 to 3 tsp) curry powder
- 500 mL (2 cups) water
- 500 mL (2 cups) sodium-reduced chicken or vegetable broth
- 750 mL (3 cups) diced (unpeeled) zucchini (375 g/12 oz)
- 50 mL (1⁄4 cup) rice, brown preferred
- 2 mL (1⁄2 tsp) salt
- 250 mL (1 cup) 2% milk
- In saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; sauté apples and onion for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Sprinkle with curry powder; cook, stirring, for a few seconds.
- Pour in water and broth; bring to boil.
- Add zucchini, rice and salt.
- Cover and simmer over low heat until zucchini and rice are very soft and soup is slightly thickened.
- In batches, pour into blender or food processor; blend until smooth.
- Return to pan and add milk; heat through.
Make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day or freeze for up to 1 month. (If freezing, add curry powder just before reheating soup.) Before reheating gently, stir soup with a whisk to regain consistency.
Nutrition information per serving
(175 mL/3⁄4 cup)
- Calories: 82
- Protein: 2 g
- Total fat: 3 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 2 mg
- Carbohydrate: 11 g
- Fibre: 1 g
- Sodium: 241 mg
- Potassium: 215 mg
From Anne Lindsay’s Lighthearted at Home ©2010.
Posted: January 2011