Chicken souvlaki pitas
Makes 8 small servings
This quick and easy recipe provides all the enjoyment of souvlaki without all the work of assembling skewers. Serve with a crisp dark-green leafy salad on the side.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 5 mL (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 500 g (1 lb) boneless skinless chicken, cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) pieces
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) 1% milk
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Eight 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) or four 15 cm (6 inch) whole-wheat pitas
- 250 mL (1 cup) diced English cucumber (about 1/4)
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) plain 1% yogurt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion, oregano and 1 mL (1/4 tsp) pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes or until softened and starting to brown. Add chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Whisk flour into milk and whisk into skillet; stir in lemon zest. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened and chicken is no longer pink inside. Season to taste with pepper.
- Meanwhile, toast or heat pitas. In a bowl, combine cucumber and yogurt. Spoon chicken and sauce on top of pitas in open-face style, dollop with cucumber yogurt and sprinkle with tomatoes.
Nutrition information per serving
- Calories: 211
- Protein: 19 g
- Total fat: 5 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Cholesterol: 43 mg
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fibre: 3 g
- Sugars: 5 g
- Sodium: 255 mg
- Potassium: 503 mg
Recipe provided by Dairy Farmers of Canada ©
Posted: February 2011