Chicken and vegetable ratatouille pasta
Makes 4 servings
This ratatouille mixture can be enjoyed on its own or with pasta or rice for a family meal. With lots of vegetables, your bowl will burst with colour and flavour. Cooking the chicken, pepper and zucchini separately helps bring the individual vegetable flavours to the dish, which is a true classic.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 20 mL (4 tsp) canola oil
- 1 small eggplant (about 250 g/8 oz), chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 7 mL (1 1/2 tsp) herb de Provence
- 1 can (796 mL/28 oz) diced tomatoes with juices (no salt added)
- 250 mL (1 cup) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 250 g (8 oz) boneless skinless chicken, diced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 500 mL (2 cups) whole-wheat rotini pasta
- In large saucepan, heat 10 mL (2 tsp) of the oil over medium high heat and add eggplant, onion, garlic and 5 mL (1 tsp) of the herb de Provence. Cook, stirring for about 8 minutes or until starting to become golden. Add tomatoes and broth and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, in pot of boiling water cook pasta for about 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium high heat and cook, chicken, zucchini and pepper with remaining herb de Provence, stirring constantly for about 8 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside. Stir into tomato mixture and cook for 5 minutes. Serve over cooked pasta.
Nutrition information per serving
- Calories: 336
- Protein: 23 g
- Total fat: 8 g
- Saturated fat: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 41 mg
- Carbohydrates: 48 g
- Fibre: 7 g
- Sugars: 10 g
- Sodium: 217 mg
- Potassium: 885 mg
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec. ©The Heart and Stroke Foundation 2011.
Posted: April 2011