Lemon and salmon are a perfect match and bring a flavourful zing to this pasta.
Recipe developed by Emily Richards, PH Ec.© Heart and Stroke Foundation 2012.
- 4 cups (1 L) broccoli florets
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 3 Atlantic salmon portions (about 5 oz/150 g each)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sodium reduced vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 3 cups (750 mL) farfalle (bowtie) pasta
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, pepper, carrot and tomatoes. Add oil, garlic, parsley and thyme; toss to combine well. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking tray and roast in 425 F (220 C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from oven and place salmon portions on top of vegetables. In a small bowl, whisk together lemon rind, juice, broth and pepper and drizzle all over salmon and vegetables. Return to oven for about 10 minutes or until salmon flakes when tested and vegetables are golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta for about 10 mintues or until tender but firm. Remove 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking water and drain pasta. Return pasta to pot and stir in roasted vegetables and salmon. Stir to combine, breaking up salmon as you stir. Drizzle in reserved cooking water to moisten if necessary.
Tip: You can use 1 larger piece of salmon and cut it into 3 pieces to roast. If there is skin on the salmon, simply remove it easily after it is cooked before tossing with vegetables and pasta.
Posted: January 2013